Chris Cosentino's Umami Spice
Red Boat salt, or Kosher salt
Extra virgin olive oil
Steamed rice, or pasta (or whatever carb you have in your pantry!)
Sliced cucumbers and tomatoes, or spring salad mix, or all three (or whatever veggies you have in your fridge!)
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Lightly season the chicken legs with Red Boat salt (or Kosher salt) and generously sprinkle umami spice on both sides.
3. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil on both sides of the chicken leg.
4. Place a rack on the baking sheet, then transfer the chicken legs on to the rack. This prevents the chicken skin from getting soggy! No soggy chicken skin!!!
5. Place the chicken into the oven and bake for 45-50 minutes. Half way through, flip the chicken so both sides cook evenly. Once the internal temperature reaches 165°F, your chicken is ready.
6. For the last 5 minutes you can turn the broiler on high so the skin gets nice and crispy. Watch it closely so you don’t burn your chicken! No burnt chicken!
Serve with a side of steamed rice, sliced cucumbers, and sliced tomatoes. And if you want to eat like the Pham's, have a side of fish sauce ready for dipping your cucumbers and tomatoes in.