- 400 grams tofu (firm or extra firm)
- 60 grams green onion greens
- 3 tsp white granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp MSG (optional, but recommended)
- 3 tbsp Red Boat fish sauce
- 120 ml water
- Neutral oil for frying (such as vegetable or canola oil)
1. Chop green onion greens into 1/2 cm pieces.
2. In a medium bowl, add the sugar, MSG, fish sauce, and water. Stir until the sugar has fully dissolved.
3. Add in the chopped green onion and set aside.
4. Drain, rinse, and pat dry the tofu. Cut tofu cut into 1-1.5cm thick slices, then into pieces about 5 cm by 3 cm.
5. Heat vegetable oil in a large frying pan on medium low. Test your oil by dipping in wooden chopstick or another wooden utensil. When you see rapid bubbles, the oil is ready.
6. Add the tofu pieces in a single layer, make sure they are are not touching.
7. Fry the tofu for about 10 minutes on either side until golden all around (about 20 minutes total).
8. When the tofu is almost ready, make sure your bowl of sauce and the plate you want to use for serving are set up next to the stove.
9. As soon as a piece of tofu is done, use chopsticks or tongs to remove it from the pan and submerge into sauce, then scoop up some green onion with the piece of tofu and place it on the serving plate.
10. Repeat this step for the rest of the pieces of tofu as they become ready. If you have some sauce leftover, pour the rest over the tofu.
11. Enjoy as a side or main with white rice!
Recipe Source: MMBonAppétit