- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1lb ground beef
- 1/4 cup Red Boat Fish Sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- ¼ cucumber, ribboned
- 1 small bunch cilantro
- Mayonnaise, as desired
- Burger buns
- Quick pickles
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 small daikon radish, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp salt, plus extra for sprinkling on carrots and daikon radish
- 1 cup boiling water
- ⅓ cup white vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
To make the burger:
1. In a bowl, add your minced shallot, minced garlic, ground beef, Red Boat Fish Sauce, oyster sauce, brown sugar, and black pepper. Mix until combined. Allow to marinate for 15 minutes.
2. Form your ground beef mixture into equal-sized patties.
3. In a hot pan, add neutral oil. Working in batches, add your patties and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side or until desired doneness.
4. Remove from pan and allow to rest.
To make the quick pickles:
1. In a sieve over a bowl, add your sliced carrots and daikon radish. Sprinkle with salt and allow to sit for 10 minutes until water is released and you can bend the carrots or daikon radish without it snapping.
2. Rinse your carrots and daikon radish under cold water to remove any salt. Squeeze them to remove excess water.
3. In a heat-proof bowl, add your boiling water, 1 tsp of salt, white vinegar, and sugar. Stir to dissolve. Add your carrots and daikon radish and allow to pickle for 30 minutes.
On a bun, add your mayonnaise, cilantro, burger patty, ribboned cucumber, and quick pickles. Enjoy immediately