1. Parboil the pork in hot water for 5-10 minutes. Drain and wash clean with cold water.
2. Add Red Boat Fish Sauce, shallot, garlic and pepper to the meat and marinate for at least 30 minutes, or overnight.
3. In a saute pan, add oil and 2 TBS of coconut sugar. Melt the sugar on medium low heat, stirring continuously. Caramelize the sugar until the color is a dark, rich brown. Turn off the fire and take the pan off the heat.
4. Add the meat to the pan and stir, then add the pan back onto the heat, on medium high to high. Coat the meat with caramelized sugar evenly.
5. Once the caramelized sauce on the meat is evenly distributed, add the coconut water and bring it to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer and cover with a lid.
6. Simmer for 35 minutes. Take the lid off and bring up the heat up to medium high for 5 minutes, to reduce the coconut water and slightly thicken the sauce.
7. Garnish with green onions and additional pepper as needed. Serve with cucumbers over a bed of rice.
For more detailed instructions and additional tips on how to make this dish, please visit A Peachy Plate.