- 4oz spaghetti noodles
- 2 small onions, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tsp Red Boat Fish Sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 ½ - 2 cups of pasta water, reserved from cooked pasta
- salt to taste
- neutral oil
- optional: crushed red pepper flakes, basil
1. Cook your spaghetti noodles according to the package (be sure to salt your pasta water). Reserve 2 cups of pasta water.
2. In a pan over medium-low heat, add your neutral oil and sliced onions. Allow the onions to cook down for 30-45 minutes, sautéing occasionally. Turn the heat down or add a little more oil if the edges of the onions start to burn.
3. Once the onions have caramelized, add fish sauce and mix.
4. Add a little oil and your garlic. Sauté until softened.
5. Add your tomato paste and sauté until browned and caramelized.
6. Add 1 ½ cups of pasta water to deglaze the pan. Stir to scrape any caramelized bits off the bottom of the pan.
7. Allow the sauce to reduce for a few minutes and add your pasta. Toss to combine.
8. Salt to taste. For a saucier sauce, add the remaining pasta water.
9. Top with optional crushed red pepper flakes or basil and enjoy hot!