- 4 ears of corn
- Scallion oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions, green and white parts
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon Red Boat Fish Sauce
- 1/3 cup grapeseed, rice bran, canola, or other neutral oil
DirectionsMake the scallion oil.
- Place the scallions in a heat-proof pint jar, then add the sugar and fish sauce.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the oil. Bring the oil to 180°F, which should take about 3 minutes.
- Carefully pour the hot oil directly over the scallions. The scallions should sizzle once the oil is added.
- Stir to combine all the ingredients. Set aside.
- Shuck the corncobs. Cut cobs into 3-inch segments (optional).
- Fill a large Dutch oven with 3 inches of oil. Bring the oil to 380°F.
- Add the corncobs to the pot, working in batches if necessary, to avoid crowding the pot. Cover the pot with a splatter screen.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes, just until the kernels start to blister and caramelize.
- Carefully transfer corn onto a wire rack-lined baking pan.
- Repeat with the remaining corn.
- Transfer corncobs to a platter and top with scallion oil.