Makes 1 generous cup (250 ml)
1 large egg, near or at room temperature
1 small clove garlic, minced and mashed or put through a garlic press
½ plus ⅛ teaspoon Red Boat salt
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon maple syrup, delicate Grade A preferred
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 cup (240 ml) canola oil
Water, as needed
1. Put the egg, garlic, salt, mustard, maple syrup, and lemon juice in the food processor’s work bowl.
2. Start the processor and after a creamy yellow mixture forms (5 to 10 seconds) start pouring the oil through the feed tube in a slow, steady stream as thin as angel hair pasta
3. Midway through, after things thicken, pour a thicker stream, as wide as spaghetti and after about 2 minutes, all the oil should be incorporated and the mayo should be creamy and spreadable.
4. If needed, adjust with extra salt (savoriness), lemon juice (tang), or water by the teaspoon (softer texture), pulsing the machine to blend well.
5. Transfer to an airtight container. Before using, wait 30 minutes to allow the umami depth to develop. Keeps well in the refrigerator for at least a week.