- 1 cup walnuts (4 ounces)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons Red Boat fish sauce
- 3 cups basil leaves (4 ounces)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, separated
- 1 pound spaghetti (Semolina Artisan Pasta brand preferred)
- Place the walnuts in a single layer onto a skillet. Over a low flame, toast the walnuts for 5 minutes, shaking the pan constantly to avoid burning the walnuts. The walnuts are done when they become fragrant. Transfer the walnuts to a plate and set aside to cool.
- Once the walnuts are cooled, roughly chop them and transfer to a food processor.
- Add the garlic, black pepper and Red Boat fish sauce into the food processor.
- Pulse the mixture a few times until the walnuts are minced, then add the basil into the bowl and pulse two more times.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then, with the motor running, slowly pour in 1 cup of the olive oil in a thin stream until the oil is well incorporated and emulsified.
- Transfer the pesto into a jar. Top off with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Set aside.
- Cook and drain spaghetti according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Add pesto to the hot pasta and toss to coat. Serve immediately.