For the meatballs:
2 pounds pork shoulder, ground
1 ounce ginger
2 medium cloves garlic
1 tablespoon Red Boat 40°N fish sauce
2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
For the broth:
2 cans coconut milk
4 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons sugar, plus additional to balance sauce
2 tablespoons salt
1 stalk lemongrass, outer leaves removed and cut into 1” pieces
1 lime, plus additional to balance suace
2 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
3 kaffir lime leaves
2 ounces ginger, peeled and sliced into ¼” slices
1-2 red thai chilies, cut down the center leaving while chili in tact
1T Red Boat 40°N fish sauce
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Peel and finely chop ginger. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients for meatballs. Scoop balls, the size of large walnuts, and place on a parchment-lined sheet tray. Bake meatballs until just cooked through, 10 minutes.
3. While meatballs are in the oven, combine all ingredients for sauce. Warm over low heat. When meatballs are cooked, add to broth and simmer until meatballs are flavorful and tender, about 1 ½ hours. If broth becomes too thick, add water to thin.
4. When meatballs are cooked through, adjust sauce with additional lime and sugar as needed.
5. Garnish with thin-sliced chilis, mint, and cilantro leaves as desired. Serve with jasmine rice