Recipe courtesy award winning author and TV host Steven Raichlen
On the Grill with Steven Raichlen
Ginger, Garlic and Honey Ribs Recipe
with Red Boat Fish Sauce
Ribs and Spice Paste Recipe
2 racks American baby back ribs (each 2 to 2 1/2 pounds)
6 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon coarse salt (kosher or sea)
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon Red Boat Fish Sauce 40N
Dipping Sauce Recipe
4 teaspoons coarse salt (kosher or sea)
4 teaspoons ground white pepper
4 juicy limes, cut in half
1. Prepare ribs and spice paste: If necessary, remove the thin papery membrane from the back of each rack of ribs – some stores sell ribs with this removed. If you are using the larger racks of ribs, cut each in half. Place ribs in nonreactive baking dish just large enough to hold them in a single layer.
2. Place garlic, ginger, sugar, 1 tablespoon salt and black pepper in mortar and pound to a paste with pestle (or use a food processor). Work in the honey, soy sauce and Red Boat fish sauce. Spread paste over the ribs on both sides. Refrigerate, covered, 1 to 4 hours; the longer the ribs marinate, the richer the flavor will be.
3. Prepare the ingredients for dipping sauce: Place 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon white pepper in neat mounds side by side in each of 4 tiny bowls for the dipping sauce. Place 2 lime halves next to each bowl.
4. Set up the grill for direct grilling and preheat to medium.
5. When ready to cook, brush and oil the grill grate. Place ribs, bone side down, on hot grate and grill until golden brown and cooked through, 8 to 12 minutes per side, a little longer for full-size ribs. Watch for flare-ups. Should they occur, move the ribs to another section of the grill. When the ribs are done, the meat will have shrunk back from the ends of the bones by about 1/4 inch.
6. Transfer the racks of ribs to a cutting board and cut them into individual ribs, then arrange them on a platter or plates for serving. Just before eating, instruct your guests to squeeze 1 to 2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice into their bowls of salt and pepper and stir with chopsticks until mixed. Dip each rib into the sauce before eating.
Yield: 4 servings
“Steven Raichlen’s Planet Barbecue!” by Steven Raichlen
SHARE FISH SAUCE WITH THE WORLD: